Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Birth Story

I hope to update my blog a little more often now that baby Kinsley is here!  It's hard to believe Adam and I have been together for SEVEN years now and will celebrate our third anniversary this summer!!  We recently made a new addition to our family...a sweet baby girl, Kinsley Grace Harrington.

Adam and I knew that we wanted our family to grow and began "trying" to get pregnant last spring.  Well, it didn't take long!!  I found out in early June that we were expecting and Adam and I couldn't have been more excited.  I had a fairly easy pregnancy without any real cravings or sickness.  Thank goodness!!

Kinsley's due date was February 1, 2013.  As the date grew closer, My doctor, Dr. Ryan Roy, checked my progression at each check-up.  At 38 weeks, I was 3 cm dialated and 70% effaced.  Dr. Roy really didn't think I'd make it til my due date so he offered to induce on January 29th, since he would be on call at the hospital.  Since we knew for sure when Kinsley would make her appearance, Adam and I took the weekend before to relax and spend time together, just the two of us.  Sunday night (January 28th), we went to dinner at Outback, went to WalMart to pick up a few things, and got dessert at YoLo's.  When we got home, we watched a movie and got ready for bed.  It was a perfect night.

As I was taking out my contacts around 10:15, I was having trouble getting my left one out.  I called Adam into the bathroom to help.  As he was pouring drops in my eye, I felt a little trickle come out.  I told Adam to stop, and then informed him that I either just peed on myself or my water broke!  He brought me another pair of panties, which became wet almost as soon as I put them on!  At this point, I was calm but freaking out at the same time!  I sat down on the toilet so I didn't get water everywhere and Adam called our neighbor, Tameka, who works at the Women's Clinic.  She told us to go ahead and call the hospital and probably needed to head on there.  Adam called the hospital and talked to Dr. Boyapoti.  He told me to lie down for about an hour and see if the leaking stopped and if it didn't, then my water had probably broken and head to the hospital.  Well, I laid down for about 5 minutes and then decided it was time to go!

Adam ran around the house getting last minute things put into a bag and got the car packed.  He then loaded me up and we were on our way.  By the time we got to the hospital and I got admitted to Labor and Delivery, it was close to midnight.  The nurse checked to see if my water had broken and confirmed that it had.  A doctor then checked to see how much I was dialated and I was at 4 cm.  I wasn't really feeing any contractions at this point, but had to go to the bathroom constantly.

I was finally moved to a delivery room where the contractions finally kicked in.  HOLY COW did they hurt!!  Adam was constantly rubbing my back trying to help me relax but he contractions were coming every 2-3 minutes and I didn't really have any down time.  My parents and Mike arrived sometime after 2 a.m., just about the time I got my epidural.  It took about an hour for the epidural to fully kick in, but once it did, I could finally relax.  The nurse came in and put in to check me again and I had already dialated to 9 cm.  We just had to wait for Kinsley to drop.  Around 5:30 I finally fell asleep, only to be awakened at 6:30 by the nurse saying it was time to push!!  Oh how I could have used a few more hours of sleep, but I was so excited to meet our daughter that I really didn't care!

I pushed from 6:30 a.m. until 7:08 a.m. when Kinsley Grace Harrington made her grand entrance into the world!  Adam was fantastic the entire time, holding my hand, putting ice chips in my mouth, and making sure I was okay.  As soon as she was out, the nurse put Kinsley on my chest.  She was beautiful!!  I couldn't believe that she had grown inside of me for 9 months and now she was here, a wonderful, perfect baby!!  The nurse (I had different nurses when she was born that when I was in labor because nurses changed shift at 7 a.m.  Talk about a crazy delivery room!) then took Kinsley to get cleaned up, measured, and weighed.  Adam got to put her first diaper on her.  I have never seen a more proud daddy!!

We are so in love with our baby girl and could not imagine a more better life!

Kinsley Grace Harrington
7:08 a.m.
20 1/2 inches long
8 lbs 11 oz

No comments:

Post a Comment